Communicating with non-HAPCAN CANBUS devices?

BuGless

Communicating with non-HAPCAN CANBUS devices?

Post by BuGless »

I am going to use two Zivan NG9+ http://www.zivan.it/en/overview.php?app=&id=ng9 3-phase 24V 200A battery chargers to build a custom UPS.
These devices have a CAN interface (they use it to communicate with each other in a master-slave relationship to allow parallel charging).

Could I connect these two loaders to a HAPCAN bus and then use the HAPCAN RS232 interface to communicate with the Zivans?
BuGless

Re: Communicating with non-HAPCAN CANBUS devices?

Post by BuGless »

Or, to put it differently:
a. Can a HAPCAN RS232 interface be used to send and receive arbitrary CAN BUS messages?
b. Do HAPCAN and non-HAPCAN devices co-exist peacefully on the same CAN bus?
Jacek

Post by Jacek »

HAPCAN RS232-CAN interface is not an universal interface. It has fixed (not settable) baudrate 125kbps and fixed standard CAN2.0B (29-bit identifiers).
I don't think that it can match your device protocol.
Furthermore HAPCAN interface adds additional bytes (start, stop and checksum) on RS232 side.
Sorry about that.
BuGless wrote:Or, to put it differently:
a. Can a HAPCAN RS232 interface be used to send and receive arbitrary CAN BUS messages?
Yes, but you have to remember about fixed baudrate, CAN2.0B standard and additional bytes on RS232 side.
BuGless wrote:b. Do HAPCAN and non-HAPCAN devices co-exist peacefully on the same CAN bus?
Yes.
Regards
Jacek
BuGless

Post by BuGless »

I presume you mean a bitrate of 115k2 for the serial interface?
Jacek

Post by Jacek »

Sorry, I meant fixed 125kbps on CAN bus side.
On RS232 side there is also fixed baudrate 115200bps, but it is not a problem, because you can adjust PC to match the same speed.
Regards
Jacek